Design treatment for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando
Enhance the Springfield U.S.A. area during Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights with Simpsons-inspired decorations, character actors, audio content, and a themed haunted house. Capitalize on the rich and recognizable content from the show’s unique, beloved Halloween specials. Introduce a less intense, more comedic element to expand the audience for the overall event.
Sideshow Bob takes over Springfield, USA in an attempt to kill Bart Simpson. America’s favorite family find themselves stuck in a nightmare version of their hometown, beset by visits from the villains and terrors of Springfield’s Halloweens past.
- An Itchy and Scratchy haunted house that parodies elements of the more violent and gory haunted houses in the rest of the park
- Character interactions with a special Sideshow Bob
- Area-wide public address messages in which Sideshow Bob issues characteristically murderous monologues
- Meet-and-greets with special characters from Treehouse of Horror episodes, like Kang, Kodos, Donut Head Homer, and Devil Flanders
- A Groundskeeper Willie scare-actor from Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace
- Treehouse of Horror clips playing in ride queues
- Event-specific merchandise, including “DIE BART, DIE” tee-shirts and Alien Maggie plush toys
- A unique Halloween experience within an untapped and extremely popular aspect of the intellectual property
- Atmosphere enhancements consistent with the tone and story of the area’s two ride experiences
- Ready-made merchandising, food, and beverage opportunities
You enter Springfield, USA with the sounds of the Treehouse of Horror end credits music filling the air. Signs posted at the entrance to the area notify you that Bart Simpson is “WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE: for Innumerable Sophomoric Insults and a Perpetual Refusal to Die.”
“OR ALIVE” has been crudely scratched out.
As you walk through fog near the town entrance and past Bumblebee Man’s Taco Truck, Sideshow Bob makes an announcement over the town’s public address speakers: “People of Springfield, it is I, daring villain and esteemed thespian extraordinaire, Sideshow Bob. Bring me Bart Simpson, or I shall reduce your beloved town to ruins!” He follows the announcement with a maniacal laugh.
Ahead of you, crowds of people disperse and scream as Groundskeeper Willie, dressed like Freddy Krueger and carrying a gardening hoe, stalks in front of the Duff Beer Garden. Guests drink Moe’s Microbrew (from There’s No Business Like Moe Business) and watch Treehouse of Horror clips playing on the televisions above the bar. Wanted posters for each member of the Simpson family hang on many of the light poles along the road. They read: “Wanted for torture and questioning.”
Just ahead, Kang and Kodos twirl guests around in the air, forcing them to attack the poor townspeople of Springfield (Kang & Kodos Twirl n’ Hurl).
Outside the Kwik-E-Mart, guests line up for a meet-and-greet photo opportunity with Donut Head Homer and Devil Flanders. A guest having his picture taken wears a t-shirt with the words “DIE BART, DIE” written in red letters on the front.
Sideshow Bob makes another announcement: “People of Springfield, why do you protect Bart Simpson? He destroys your monuments, defaces your public spaces, and makes a mockery of each of you in turn! Give him to me, and I will end all of this.” He lets out a slow, murderous laugh as he ends the address.
Up ahead you notice a crowd gathered across from the entrance to Krustyland (The Simpsons Ride). On a small stage near the waterfront stands Sideshow Bob himself. His blood stains the front of his orange prison jumpsuit, which bears long rips down the sleeves.
He hums to himself as he stalks around the stage. He walks to a large wooden box with large nails and chains holding its lid down. He kicks the box, and you hear Lisa Simpson cry out.
From another box across the stage, you hear Marge beg Bob to let Lisa go. “Bart doesn’t even like Lisa that much!” she explains.
Lisa begins to object, but mumbles her agreement instead.
You walk past the scene in front of KrustyLand and enter the queue for Itchy and Scratchy: Toon Terror, the area’s haunted maze attraction. You walk through a large television screen and find yourself inside of an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, just as Lisa and Bart did in The Terror of Tiny Toon. The iconic cartoon characters attempt to catch you in a series of violent traps, but somehow keep dismembering and maiming one another.
At the end of the maze, you walk behind another large television screen, but this time you see it from the inside. Outside, an enormous Homer Simpson looks in, fiddling confusedly with the TV remote in an attempt to save your life. After some struggle, he succeeds. You walk through fog and strobe lighting to find yourself in the Simpson’s living room.
As you exit the house, you notice Itchy hiding behind the open front door with a large meat cleaver. He places a finger on his lips, telling you to keep quiet.
Food and Beverage Items
- Moe’s Microbrew: a specialty beer brewed in the basement of Moe’s Tavern with (Homer’s) blood, sweat, and tears. Pumpkin-flavored microbrew.
- Homer Heads: a specialty item at Lard Lad Donuts featuring an icing Homer Simpson face. Caramel iced vanilla cake donut with candy eyes.
- Marge’s Jack-O-Lantern Cupcakes: Chocolate cupcakes with jack-o-lantern icing and cherry jelly filling.
- Alien Maggie plush toy
- DIE BART, DIE t-shirt
- Sideshow Bob orange prison jumpsuit t-shirt
- Simpsons wanted poster magnets and stickers
- Itchy and Scratchy: Toon Terror apparel items
- Treehouse of Horror Nights poster commemorating the event